Ask the Veterinarian/Black spots on belly

My 4 month old pit bull mix has tiny black spots on her belly that appear to be clogged pores. They do not rub or wash off but if you squeeze the skin like you would a pimple then the black stuff comes out. She doesn't seem to be bothered by it but I want to be sure it's nothing to worry about.

Those are most likely blackheads just like you or I would get. It's from her skin being a bit oily, which happens in puppies, then it gets dirty. You can clean her belly off once or twice a week by using a warm washrag with some baby soap on it. Rinse it off really well then dry it. That will help unclog some of these.

If she lays around in dirt a lot she will get them again. Do NOT squeeze them as you can cause an infection very easily and that will cost you some money for antibiotics.

They usually outgrow these around 6 months or so.
Things to watch for:

Swelling or redness-
Oozing or pus coming out of a blister-
blisters or raised bumps.

If she gets any of those, get her in to the vets.

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.