Ask the Veterinarian/My cat is showing unusual signs

Hello! I have a 3-year old male healthy outdoor cat and has no history of vet checkups but just this morning I heard him making loud noise outside our house as if he's crying and noticed that his hind legs are very weak. When I let him in the house he suddenly deficated with fresh blood stained feces. What's very strange was he walked backwards while making those crying sounds. Thinking that my cat was hit by a car and may have internal hemorrhage I immediately rushed him to a nearby vet. The vet told us that vital signs are normal, and hind leg muscles bruised. the vet also assured us that bloody stain stools were not a sign of an internal hemorrhage but probably of a parasite infestation. The vet only gave our cat a shot of electrolyte and prescribed us electrolyte sachets for him.

Minutes after we arrived home I noticed that our cat also has unusual muscle spasms when sleeping.
I am very eager to hear your opinion Ma'am Connell. To sum up everything, our cat suddenly experienced the following signs: a. Weak hind legs, b. makes crying sounds, c. Bloody stained stool, d. Walks backwards , e. unusual muscle spasms while sleeping.

Please forgive my english Ma'am Connell for I am a Filipino.
Thanks in advance and God bless!
Yours truly,

Your vet is probably correct in saying that the blood is not from being hit but from either parasites or from what he eats.

It's quite possible, and more likely, since this cat must not be neutered either, that he has been in quite a fight and has been bit and beat up, hence the weakness and crying.

He is probably in pain from that and that's why his muscles are spasming.
I hope, for your safety, that this cat is at least vaccinated for rabies every year!!

I would keep giving him the electrolytes, and when he is feeling better get him neutered and wormed, and vaccinated for everything!

Keep him in the house and watch his stools for anymore blood. Get him on a higher quality diet as well, and the bloody stool will stop, once he has been wormed.

So get him over this episode, then get him in to be neutered, wormed and vaccinated, especially for rabies.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.