Ask the Veterinarian/pimple like bump

Question
Booker
Booker  
Hello,
My puppy was fixed 8/24/2013, surgical wound was checked and looked good. Now a couple months later I noticed him licking at the surgical site and there was a red/pus like bump where his incision was. I am not sure if this could be a bug bite or something else. He is licking it a lot and seems kind of lethargic.

Answer
In a surgical wound there are many possibilities.  There could be a hair under the incision causing a reaction.  There may be a stitch that has caused irritation, or there could be a slowly developing infection under the incision.  The preferred treatment is to open up the superficial skin part of the incision and clean it out. It is left open to medicate or clean.   Then it is allowed to scar in.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf