Ask the Veterinarian/SPAY/ NEUTER

If I get a kitten, what would be the best age to get it spayed if it's a female or neutered if it's a male? I want to do what's healthier for the kitten and spaying or neutering early (before 10 weeks)doesn't seem like the healthiest choice.

Well your thinking is correct. They are now seeing the (bad) effects of neutering too soon. Females should be spayed between 4-6 months of age, depending on the time of year. In the spring if they are 4 months old get them spayed or they will come into heat and get pregnant. Yes, as young as 4 months old. In the fall you can (usually) wait safely until they are 6 months old.

Males should not be neutered until they are between 6-8 months old. This will allow them to grow fully and get the skeletal growth that they need. Their muscles are not even fully developed until they 9 months to a year but you then run the risk of them spraying.

The only way you are going to be able to pick your time to spay or neuter is if you get a kitten from a friend. Shelter cats are always neutered now way too young, but before they are adopted.

It's really a shame and I while I understand their logic, it's not a healthy thing to do. Now they are finding these early neuterings are developing many diseases way too early, such as diabetes, Cushings, bone problems and even some cancers.

I hope that you can make that happen for yourself!  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.