Ask the Veterinarian/my 16 year old chihuahua
my 16 year old chihuahua has started having nose bleeds what is causing this and how serious is this.
There are many possible causes. If it has persisted longer than two weeks, you really need to take your chihuahua to a clinic for a diagnosis. A tumor is most likely, also fungal infection, sensitivity to dry winter house air, or a systemic platelet problem causing bleeding. Check out where she sleeps...could she be banging her nose as she gets up?
I strongly recommend finding an integrative veterinarian with whom to work. This is a person trained in many different approaches, including using conventional drugs only when absolutely needed. Working with one can increase the chance that your cherished companion can live a long and healthy life after recovering from this current problem. There are good ones and great ones, and a few homeopathic veterinarians will consult by phone or email. Read my comments at the end on working with and selecting a holistic veterinarian.
You can go to the web sites for each type of holistic practice and use their referral list to find one near to you: there are several in Alabama. Depending on where you live, I know Twilla Floyd and Mary Battistella very well and they are very nice and very good. Others are good, too.
1. Acupuncture and Chinese medicine: www.IVAS.org, www.avaa.org & www.TCVM.com
2. Homeopathic veterinarians (these can often help you by phone if no other holistic practitioners are nearby that you like): www.theAVH.org and www.DrPitcairn.com.
3. Chiropractor - www.animalchiropractic.org
4. Wide range of other treatments: www.AHVMA.org, American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association and www.civtedu.org.
There are also lots of practitioners and approaches that are used by trained people that you can find by searching the Internet.
Even before you see a veterinarian, begin getting Reiki treatment for your dog. Personally, I think every person who lives with or works with animals must know at least Level I Reiki. The practitioner offers this energy and the animal comes over to get it (or places her hands upon the animal), or it can be done from a distance, even around the world with the intent for healing to occur. The energy flows through the healer into the animal. This is based on directly applying Chi (energy) to rebalance the energy field so it no longer needs to produce the physical symptoms. It is a very good adjunct to any healing modality, especially to relieve pain and inflammation. I have seen cats who began to eat again when their food was treated with Reiki. It also "takes the bad out of" things. I have seen it stop bleeding. By doing Reiki on smelly water in restaurants I have been able to drink sweet tasting and smelling water. Use Reiki anytime that you must give injections, vaccines, drugs, flea or heartworm drugs, or other substances with potential toxicity. Reiki is great to calm animals, relieve discomfort, and can deeply heal some problems in some animals.
2. Get a free treatment for yourself at www.interdimensionalhealing.com.
3. Great information on Reiki - http://www.reikicourse.org
. Kathleen Prasad is a wonderful teacher and works with my favorite sanctuary and holistic education center, BrightHaven www.brighthaven.org. Kathleen leads a free monthly telechat for anyone trained in Reiki and using it with animals.
. If you cannot find a Reiki Class near you (same class for people and animals as it connects you through an "attunement" to the healing energy of the universe, making you a channel of healing), three groups offer long distance, free, attunements.
5. www.AnimalReikiAlliance.com has articles and Maryland holistic practitioners listed.
8. www.ReikiBlessings.com offers free Reiki attunements, classes and training on-line and animal classes, too
9. Long distance healing and training is at www.animalhealers.homestead.com/
10. Christine at firstname.lastname@example.org, www.awakeningrainbows.com. To receive free distance Reiki send her your first name only, city and state, and whether or not you have had any Reiki training. She invites you to include your pets as well. She uses a teddy bear and does a full body Reiki distance treatment for one hour each Sunday evening from 9 p.m. until 10 p.m. EST.
Another wonderful healer, Deena Spears works long distance with Sound Tuning. www.Singingwoods.com. I have seen many animals and the people in a home be healed by her work.
And a team of over 100 healers will send free healing energy until you say not to. Email Barbara at email@example.com with your healing request, name of animal, species, color & age. In the subject say request through Dr. Chambreau