Ask the Veterinarian/6 week old jack Russell

My 6 week old jack Russell, Marley went to the vet today for her first round of shots. The vet told me that she was not developing right and didn't need shots yet, she was put on medicine and asked to come back in a week.  Once we left the vets office she has been extremely lazy and not wanting to get up. When she stands she seems very weak mostly near her hind legs. Other than using the bathroom and occasionally eating she is constantly asleep.  Also, she eat 6 hours ago and her stomach is still bloated. Should I be concerned?

Yes, I'd be concerned! What kind of Medicine? For worms?? Roundworms, hookworms etc.? or Heartworms?

I don't know what kind of developmental issues she might be having (you need to ask) but every 6 week old dog, unless they are ill, should be wormed, put on heartworm prevention (very important!) and vaccinated against parvo, distemper, etc.

You should write down a list of these questions and call your vets office and ask to speak to him. Tell him she is bloated as well. This could be a result of worming medicine but you need to know. Sleeping all day is not normal either. What was she like before this visit?

ASK!! You have every right to ask, so call them today, before the weekend.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.