Ask the Veterinarian/6 week old jack Russell

Question
My 6 week old jack Russell, Marley went to the vet today for her first round of shots. The vet told me that she was not developing right and didn't need shots yet, she was put on medicine and asked to come back in a week.  Once we left the vets office she has been extremely lazy and not wanting to get up. When she stands she seems very weak mostly near her hind legs. Other than using the bathroom and occasionally eating she is constantly asleep.  Also, she eat 6 hours ago and her stomach is still bloated. Should I be concerned?

Answer
Yes, I'd be concerned! What kind of Medicine? For worms?? Roundworms, hookworms etc.? or Heartworms?

I don't know what kind of developmental issues she might be having (you need to ask) but every 6 week old dog, unless they are ill, should be wormed, put on heartworm prevention (very important!) and vaccinated against parvo, distemper, etc.

You should write down a list of these questions and call your vets office and ask to speak to him. Tell him she is bloated as well. This could be a result of worming medicine but you need to know. Sleeping all day is not normal either. What was she like before this visit?

ASK!! You have every right to ask, so call them today, before the weekend.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT