Ask the Veterinarian/Dog

Last Night my dog jumped off the bed then I saw her lying on her side and rolling over to her back. Her body seemed stiff. She did become incontinant of urine for a minute. Then when I picked her up she seemed scared. This only lasted for a minute. She got up and started walking went up and down the stairs and ate and drank. She is an 11 year old cockapoo. This morning she was back to her normal self. What could hae caused last nights episode?

She could have hurt her back or one of her knees. Little dogs are really good at hurting things at this age from jumping off of things that used to be easy. I would get her a foot stool, some small stairs or some sort of ramp to get on and off your bed from now on.

If she exhibits any sort of pain, lameness or stiffness, you should take her in to see the vet. They can cause some disc damage by jumping wrong, or at the very least, tweak their sacrum which can cause some major back pain.

Some dogs have also torn their knee cartilage, so just keep an eye on her.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.