Ask the Veterinarian/dog


mix Chihuahua ,med length ,3days ago gave brith to 3 puppy  ,all mix lg ,med ,sm,not product mike ,being hand feeding them .what else can Ido . need help

I am not sure what "not product mike" means. If you need to supplement these puppies then you need to get some puppy milk replacement from your vets or a feed store. Best brands are Nurturall or Esbilac. Get puppy bottles from there as well. Don't use baby doll bottles or any human baby bottles. They MUST be for puppies and kittens.

They need to be fed every two-four hours depending on their size and health. There are hundreds of sites online that will give you a feeding schedule and amounts to feed, but roughly each puppy will need one - two ounces a feeding. Only feed until they tummies are slightly round.

YOU MUST then help them to potty. Normally the mother licks them to stimulate defecation and urination. You have to use a warm, wet washrag to do that.

If the mother had been on a high quality PUPPY Food during her pregnancy then she should have plenty of milk and be taking care of these babies. She should be free fed Science Diet Puppy Growth for small breeds and that will help her and the puppies.

Enlist the help of your vet if needed. Your vet and the technicians there are highly trained and willing to help with advice etc.
Give them a call. You can get your dog spayed when the puppies are 5 weeks old.  

Ask the Veterinarian

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jana Connell RVT, CVT


PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!


I have over 42 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love. I also Teach Veterinary Technology to working technicians who are studying to take their California Tests to become Licensed Technicians. They have to take both the VTNE (Veterinary Technician National Exam) and the California boards.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.


Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 1500 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Awards and Honors
Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.

©2017 All rights reserved.