Ask the Veterinarian/dog size

I have a 6 month old pup.
His mum is Irish wolfhound & his dad great dane x ridgeback.THey both look like average size for their breeds.

At 6 months he weighs only 18kg. A Great Dane that age should apparently be 31 - 40kg

Do you think there is any chance he will still grow to a big size?

How can
i end up with such a small dog when his parents are all large breed dogs?

We are feeding him vet recommended puppy food for large breeds.

If I feed him more will it help him grow bigger?

Is he likely to do much more growing after 6 months?

No feeding him more will only cause problems with his growth plates and set him up for obesity.
Large breed dog food isn't made to grow large dogs, it's developed to prevent hip and joint problems by have the correct ratio of calcium to phosphorus. Dogs fed too much of these crucial minerals have been shown to have a higher incidence of hip dysplasia and other joint problems.

Your dog is one quarter ridgeback. That is a large breed,but not a giant breed. Irish wolfhounds and great Danes are giant breeds.Since this dogs are all freely breeding there could be some other mixes in there too.

Your dog might be the runt of the litter as well. It's really hard to say. I would just keep him on a normal amount of food and let nature take its course. If he is smaller he might live longer, since the average age of a Dane and Wolfhound to die at is 7- 10 yrs old.

And dogs do grow up to two years old. Most of the growth after a year is filling out some and then some growth you don't see, like bones and organs maturing.

Just remember, The smaller the dog, the longer they live!

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.