You are here:

Ask the Veterinarian/electrical shocks

Advertisement


Question
My puppy chewed an electrical cord and became unconscious, about 2 minutes later he began to move again, i took him to the vet immediately. He's being given oxygen because he is having trouble breathing. What is the likelihood of him making A good recovery or not recovering at all? Cause the vets aren't giving me much information. (He is 5 months) please help

Answer
In electrocutions we never can predict outcomes.  Electric shocks in the dog really affect the lungs more than any other organ.  It all depends on how much the lungs were traumatized and if they will respond to medication to heal.  Only time will tell.

Ask the Veterinarian

All Answers


Answers by Expert:


Ask Experts

Volunteer


Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf

Expertise

Dermatology and ear diseases of dogs and cats

Experience

I am the author of "Small Animal Ear Diseases; An Illustrated Guide" published by W.B. Saunders. I have over 25 years of clinical experience with a special interest in dermatologic conditions and ear diseases.

Organizations
American Academy of Veterinary Dermatology

Publications
Veterinary Forum
Veterinary Medicine
Waltham Focus

©2016 About.com. All rights reserved.