Ask the Veterinarian/feline scc

Question
my boy who is 12 yrs old, has a tumor under his tongue, since the prognosis is not good, i know what has to be done. but as long as he is still eating and grooming and purring and sleeping with me, I dont think its time But I want to know if its ok to apply orajel to his jaw? And how much. He was 13 lbs and now is down to 10.4

Answer
SCC in the mouth of a cat is not good!!!  It is a rapidly growing tumor usually and as long as the cat is comfortable, feed liquified foods and relieve as much pain as is possible to keep him comfortable.  In that location, there is often spread of tumor to the throat area and that can affect breathing and swallowing.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf