Ask the Veterinarian/nuclear sclorosis

Question
My 14 yr old mixed Pom/Russel has developed nuclear sclerosis and I read that giving him Vitamin C may help.  Do I buy tablets and crush them to put in his food?  How much? He is 8 pounds and other than his eyes, perfectly healthy. Thanks.

Answer
I don't think that there is much you can do at this point with a 14 yr old dog. The problem with Vit C is that dogs make it in their systems with their food, so they really don't need supplements and when you give them, especially Vit C, you may cause diarrhea, which can be worse then him having the sclerosis.

Nuclear sclerosis is a very normal part of aging in dogs and cats. It really doesn't affect them very much. They can still see, and they rely on all of their other senses more anyway.

So I wouldn't start pumping your dog full of Vit C. You should discuss this with your dog's vet first.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT