Ask the Veterinarian/Purple blood blister?

My German shepherd puppy who is approx 2 months woke up today with two lumps a little bit smaller than a penny on her belly, closer to her female parts. One is purple & one looked like it had water in it. There were also lots of tiny ones around it. As I looked at it tonight they both look like they've been popes with pins & watered down blood looking stuff came out of the purple one. She is eating & drinking fine, she is running around & playing also. I noticed she had diarrhea today also. I was wondering if it's just a blister or something extreme?

These are pretty common in puppies. The concern here is whether or not they are raised or flat looking, but they could be the start of impetigo, which is a skin infection, also common in puppies. That infection does require antibiotics.Blood blisters do not usually. If they are raised up I would have your vet look at them. If they are flat, they could just be from her licking or chewing the area. They can give them selves hematomas doing that.

I would clean the area well, and see if they go away in 24 hours, but, if they get red rings around them, or ooze anything else or any color, or spread, or get white, flaky skin around them, you need to get her in to see the vet.

Diarrhea in puppies comes and goes. Sometimes teething can cause it, just like in human babies. Make sure she isn't eating any human food, and is a on a good, high quality Large Breed puppy Growth formula food, such as Science Diet. Don't feed her any Purina foods and don't supplement her with calcium or any other vitamins. These are the things that can cause hip and joint problems later in life.

Large breed puppy Growth is formulated to specifically address this issue where it starts- in puppyhood! Science Diet did extensive studies on the effects of calcium/phosphorus ratios on joint health and growth in large breed dogs before anyone else out there did them. Their large breed growth formula was created after doing these studies. It can help prevent hip and elbow dysplasia with dogs fed this food consistently.

Plus keeping your dog on one food as they grow helps their digestive system function properly.

So if the spots on her belly spread or keep growing, get her into see your vet soon. If they go away then I wouldn't rush her in, but on your next visit for vaccinations make sure you ask the vet about them.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.