Ask the Veterinarian/Sick Cat

My 16 year old male cat was discharged from the hospital yesterday. When he was admitted 4 days ago, the vet said he had kidney failure. After a couple of days of treatment (fluids and antibiotics) his kidneys recovered remarkably. Unfortunately, the results of his urinalysis made the vet suspect a tumor in his bladder, which was confirmed by an ultrasound. I asked if I could take him home while deciding how I wanted to proceed, if and only if the doctor could give him something to alleviate any pain he might be in. The vet gave him a cortisone shot, which is supposed to last up to a week. I do not recall, however, how long he said it would take for the cortisone shot to take effect.

My cat has not eaten since he's been home, He drinks water, but very little. When he attempts to get up to walk around, he lies down after only a few steps. With the exception of his water intake, he drank a lot more, this is pretty much how he was before he was admitted. Should I be concerned the shot isn't working or is it still too soon to tell?

I am so glad he showed response to the fluids, and it will be a challenge to deal with the bladder tumor. It may not have been causing him any pain. Steroids are not really pain killers and they should take effect within 24 hours.

Because he is so ill I strongly recommend finding an integrative veterinarian with whom to work. This is a person trained in many different approaches, including using conventional drugs only when absolutely needed. Working with one can increase the chance that your cherished companion live a bit longer with the tumor, and an outside chance of healing it completely. There are good ones and great ones, and a few homeopathic veterinarians will consult by phone or email. Read my comments at the end on working with and selecting a holistic veterinarian.
You can go to the web sites for each type of holistic practice and use their referral list to find one near to you:
1. Acupuncture and Chinese medicine:, &
2. Homeopathic veterinarians (these can often help you by phone if no other holistic practitioners are nearby that you like): and
3. Chiropractor -
4. Wide range of other treatments:, American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association and   

A totally safe method that may help your cat feel better while you are connecting with integrative veterinarians is Reiki and a few other long distance energy healings.
Personally, I think every person who lives with or works with animals must know at least Level I Reiki. The practitioner (or owner) offers this energy and the animal comes over to get it (or places her hands upon the animal), or it can be done from a distance, even around the world with the intent for healing to occur. The energy flows through the healer into the animal. This is based on directly applying Chi (energy) to rebalance the energy field so it no longer needs to produce the physical symptoms. It is a very good adjunct to any healing modality, especially to relieve pain and inflammation. I have seen cats who began to eat again when their food was treated with Reiki. Reiki is great to calm animals, relieve discomfort, and can deeply heal some problems in some animals.  

1. offers free Reiki attunements, classes and training on-line    and animal classes, too
2. Long distance healing and training is at  
3. Christine at, To receive free distance Reiki send her your first name only, city and state, and whether or not you have had any Reiki training.  She invites you to include your pets as well.  She uses a teddy bear and does a full body Reiki distance treatment for one hour each Sunday evening from 9 p.m. until 10 p.m. EST.  .  is a great practitioner in Maryland who knows a lot about cats.
4. Get a free treatment at
5. Great information on Reiki - Kathleen Prasad is a wonderful teacher and works with my favorite sanctuary and holistic education center, BrightHaven Kathleen leads a free monthly telechat for anyone trained in Reiki and using it with animals.
6. If you cannot find a Reiki Class near you (same class for people and animals as it connects you through an "attunement" to the healing energy of the universe, making you a channel of healing), three groups offer long distance, free, attunements.
7. has articles and Maryland holistic practitioners listed.

Another wonderful healer, Deena Spears works long distance with Sound Tuning. I have seen many animals and the people in a home be healed by her work.

And a team of over 100 healers will send free healing energy until you say not to. Email Barbara at with your healing request, name of animal, species, color & age. In the subject say request through Dr. Chambreau

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Christina Chambreau

I can give you the holistic approach to any problem, mostly for dogs and cats and some farm animals and horses. Depending on the condition and the type of animal, I will be able to give very specific treatment suggestions such as what flower essences, homeopathic remedies, nutritional supplements, diet changes, lifestyle changes or herbs that may be helpful - not drugs. I can also suggest where you can go for further education or to find a specialist in a specific holistic field. I can help you understand why your animal is ill and what improvements can be expected. I do not check messages more than every one to two days, so PLEASE DO NOT ask about EMERGENCIES - call your local veterinarian. I cannot diagnose your animal. I cannot prescribe specific treatments. I am no longer very current with conventional treatments, so cannot answer questions on those. I am not an expert on birds or small critters. I am not an expert in breeding, birthing or babies.

I graduated from the University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine in 1980 and began using homeopathy in my practice after a client introduced me to it. By 1988 I was using exclusively holistic treatments. I began lecturing in 1987 and have spoken at veterinary conferences, health food stores, people's homes, churches, veterinary college conferences - anywhere people want to learn more about keeping their animals healthy.

Academy of Veterinary Homeopathy (I helped found this one) American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association National Center for Homeopathy American Veterinary Medical Association

I have written in many magazines, journals and newspapers. A few include Bark Magazine; Journal of the AHVMA; Baltimore Dog Magazine; Whole Dog Journal; Tiger Tribe; Wolf Clan. I have also been frequently interviewed on radio and TV. I am Associate Editor for the Integrative Veterinary Care Journal, so often have articles there.

Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) Certified Veterinary Homeopath (CVH)