Ask the Veterinarian/legality

Is it true that when a pet is in a vets care the pet is legally the vets for the duration of treatment? like a spay or neuter I am just curious

I my state, once a patient is accepted for treatment, a vet is legally required to give the best care possible without regard to cost.  Practically, most people would not be able to afford that care, so vets do not do all of the tests, treatments, and surgeries  and they discharge patients much earlier.  If a patient is left in the care of a vet for more than 7 days after its medical release (like a spayed or neutered dog that is not picked up), then the vet can find the pet a home or humanely dispose of the animal and the owner is still financially responsible for its care.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf

Dermatology and ear diseases of dogs and cats

I am the author of "Small Animal Ear Diseases; An Illustrated Guide" published by W.B. Saunders. I have over 25 years of clinical experience with a special interest in dermatologic conditions and ear diseases.

American Academy of Veterinary Dermatology

Veterinary Forum
Veterinary Medicine
Waltham Focus