Ask the Veterinarian/Baby mouse sick ?

Question
Hello !
Four days ago, I got two mice. One is a white mouse, and one is a black one.
I have a concern for the black one. He is just a baby, baby. I am not sure what his exact age is. He is also the runt. The white mouse, Cream, is a bit bigger than him.
My concern is, Cookies(the black mouse) breaths differently than Cream(The white one). He kind of huntches when he walks, he breaths fast and deeply. He looks different than Cream.
They are in a cage together, and at night before, I go to bed, I check on them and Cream is usually laying on Cookies. I am worried by this because if he has troubles with his breathing already, do you think her laying on him makes it worse ?
Another concern is he doesn't really do anything. The white mouse is very active, and when I hold her she is all over the place, but when I hold the black one, he just sits in my palm. When I am holding him, and he's just laying on my palm, he makes this weird clicking noise.
I'm not sure if this is a big concern, but if it is, what should I do ?

Answer
Hi Taylor,
I don't do mouse medicine but I can tell you from what you said that your black mouse isn't right and could have pneumonia or some other breathing difficulty.

I would take Cookies back to where you got him and get a different mouse that is healthy. I know you are probably attached to him/her already, but it sounds as if this mouse is sick.

To prevent cream from getting sick as well, I would separate them as well.

I hope you can find what's wrong with him/her but if not, get a new mouse. I don't know many vets that will look at a mouse but I suggest you call around if you think you want a vet to look it over.

I doubt if Cream lying on Cookies is the problem. Most likely Cream senses that Cookies is ill and is trying to protect and warm him up.

Sorry you are having these difficulties with them.
There are some mice experts in here so you can post this to them as well.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT