Ask the Veterinarian/Black scabs all over and red spots

Good day, thank you for taking the time to help in advanced. I have a beejon poodle who is 7 pounds and about 7 to 8 years old; recently she has developed what I want to say is a skin allergy so said my vet, but it seems to be getting worse. He had her on an antibiotic, but it seems to be of no help. They are black scabs located all over he skin within her fur and on her neck there is a big scab under her ears.Some of the scabs I can peel off but some are directly on her skin; on her head the scabs are like dust. I treat her as well as my yorkie once a month with k9 advantage multi; she takes a bathe once a week. Also I just came across on her chest what seems to be a pimple but a bit bigger and this may sound groace but it seemed to be filled with puss and she was licking at it and it popped on her chest and now its red as well as under her front leg had one too. I'm excessively worried can you tell me what I can do or maybe what it is? Thank you

Well black scabs are usually the skin getting thicker and thicker from the dog scratching on everything. It gets like an elephants skin, thick, gray and wrinkled. From the sound of this she could even have chronic eczema or FAD- Flea allergy dermatitis.

Skin allergies are not from things touching her skin normally, but from inhalant allergies and food intolerance.

So the first question I would ask is: what does she eat? We are what we eat so if she is on a cheap, over the counter grocery store diet like Kibbles and bits or Alpo or worse yet, Old Roy, then that could be 99% of her problem.

If she is on a high quality diet, such as Science Diet, then I would say that she is developing an intolerance to some type of food or she is inhaling something that is causing this outbreak.

The best and only way to test for food intolerance is to put her on a low-allergen diet like Z/D for 4-6 weeks. If her skin clears up then you know you have a food intolerance going on.

If nothing changes then her allergies are atopic, or inhalant in nature. Unfortunately the only thing that can be done for those is to minimize exposure and control the symptoms.
You get her tested for some 60 or hundreds of allergies but we have done this testing and injections of allergy serum and it never seemed to help the dogs much at all.

Bathing her once a week is too often as well. You are drying out her skin and she doesn't need that on top of the allergies. So only bathe her once a month unless the vet gave you some special medicated shampoo.

Since I am not a vet and don't diagnose anything, you really need to contact Dr. Gotthelf, since he is a vet and a dermatologist.

His link is here:

I would discuss the allergies with him and the diet changes as well. He is much more qualified to answer this question.

I hope he can help you!!  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.