Ask the Veterinarian/black spot on my dogs belly

My dog has had a black spot under his fur on his lower belly. Its pretty small, but it appears to be swollen. The spot has been there for about 6 monthes. At first we thought it was a tick, but after examining it, it wasnt. The spot doesnt seem to hurt him either. One afternoon I was looking at it, and decided to see if maybe I was wrong, that maybe it was a tick. I pulled the black spot and out came about a 2 centimeter long black thing. (Looked like a small leech after pulling it out, or a blackhead but bigger). I assumed it could have been a dead leech and we pulled it out. Unfortunatley two days later the black spot reappered and we are baffled. Please help us!

It sounds like this could be a cyst, not a tick. Since it needs to be felt, looked at in person and probably removed, you should take your dog in to see your vet.

I don't know where you live but we don't have leeches here. If it had been a leech it wouldn't have come back in the same place.

This could also be a cuterabra worm cyst. In any case, it needs to be seen in person by a veterinarian.

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.