Ask the Veterinarian/black spot on my dogs belly

Question
My dog has had a black spot under his fur on his lower belly. Its pretty small, but it appears to be swollen. The spot has been there for about 6 monthes. At first we thought it was a tick, but after examining it, it wasnt. The spot doesnt seem to hurt him either. One afternoon I was looking at it, and decided to see if maybe I was wrong, that maybe it was a tick. I pulled the black spot and out came about a 2 centimeter long black thing. (Looked like a small leech after pulling it out, or a blackhead but bigger). I assumed it could have been a dead leech and we pulled it out. Unfortunatley two days later the black spot reappered and we are baffled. Please help us!

Answer
It sounds like this could be a cyst, not a tick. Since it needs to be felt, looked at in person and probably removed, you should take your dog in to see your vet.

I don't know where you live but we don't have leeches here. If it had been a leech it wouldn't have come back in the same place.

This could also be a cuterabra worm cyst. In any case, it needs to be seen in person by a veterinarian.

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT