Ask the Veterinarian/dog squishy large mass

Question
My very old dog has a large (aprox 8 inch) sack type thing of squishy gel like fluid in the half front of his chest that goes down his leg. The vet wasnt concerned and didnt even explain what it was. My dog acts totally fine, and happy, but we want to know what this is and how to help him.

Answer
Sorry for the late answer, I was out of town.

Did you ask the vet to look at it? He might have mentioned what it is but no one heard him.

It's possible that he has a large Lipoma on his chest that is nothing more than fatty tissue, which is why it is squishy.

They can grow very large but are not a problem unless they hinder the dogs movement when he walks. They are not worth removing on a very old dog if there is no problem with where it sits.

That could be why he didn't mention anything about it.

If you are very concerned, call the office and have the vet tech read you what the vet wrote up in his report about it. He should have at least mentioned it in that.

I hope it's just that and nothing more. :p-)

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT