Ask the Veterinarian/my dogs ears

My dog Does Not have a ear infection,her ears
 are nice and clean the vet said.However she scratches her ears,shakes her head.I have tried a ear wash.

She eats wellness core dry fat reduced in the evening

In the morning she has wellness core weight

Salmon oil 1/4 tsp she is 15 pounds

She had this last summer,and we went on vacation to calgary and when we arrived it immediately went away.Now its winter and she is having to deal with this.Thank you for your help.

Sometimes dogs' ears will itch when they are exposed to something that they are allergic to.  The skin of the ear becomes inflammed and the ears itch without an infection.  A steroid drop or creme in the ears may help.  Some dogs also have throat problems that will cause "referred" pain in the ears.  It's like when you have a sore throat and your ears itch.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf

Dermatology and ear diseases of dogs and cats

I am the author of "Small Animal Ear Diseases; An Illustrated Guide" published by W.B. Saunders. I have over 25 years of clinical experience with a special interest in dermatologic conditions and ear diseases.

American Academy of Veterinary Dermatology

Veterinary Forum
Veterinary Medicine
Waltham Focus