Ask the Veterinarian/Dull Fur & Flaky Skin

QUESTION: Can you give your cat the human Omega 3-6-9 supplements, the "liqi-caps"? My Genesis' fur is dull and she's getting dandruff galore! I feel like she's lacking in her diet and requires a supplement.  I have a HUGE bottle of the one for humans and would rather use that up 1st if possible as it is expensive.Any info would be helpful!

ANSWER: Yes you can, depending on the concentration.  The capsules should be around 500 mg, not the 1000 mg human capsules.  Usually we give cats more of the omega 3's than omega 6.  It will take at least 30-45 days to have any effect.  Sometimes when we see dandruff in cats it is actually ringworm.  Your vet might need to check that for you.

Genesis Claire
Genesis Claire  

pic 2
pic 2  
QUESTION: Is there anything I can do to notice ringworm myself?
Also, they are liquid capsules.  Can I poke a hole and just squeeze it into her food?  Are you sure it won't hurt her.

What it says on the bottle:
Molecularly Distilled Omega 3
180 EPA / 120 DHA

Serv Size: 2 softgels

Natural Fish Oil Concentrate 2.0 g
 Omega-3 Fatty Acids 680mg
   EPA 360mg
   DHA 240 mg
   Other Om 3 FA  80 mg

She is turning 12 in early March and weighs approx 11 lbs

I look forward to hearing back from you!

Those capsules should be OK.  You can give the capsule or you can squeeze the contents of the caplets onto the food.  There is really nothing you can do to check for ringworm unless someone in the family gets it on their skin.  It requires a special fungal culture.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf

Dermatology and ear diseases of dogs and cats

I am the author of "Small Animal Ear Diseases; An Illustrated Guide" published by W.B. Saunders. I have over 25 years of clinical experience with a special interest in dermatologic conditions and ear diseases.

American Academy of Veterinary Dermatology

Veterinary Forum
Veterinary Medicine
Waltham Focus