Ask the Veterinarian/early renal failure

Question
QUESTION: Hi Jana, I have a 15 year old female shorthair that is in early renal failure, which I understand is pretty common for that age; my question, is there any other food out there besides the Hills K/D? (she hates it!!) ...she will pick at it,,,but screams for her "Friskies party mix treats" ..and will eat those all day if I let her. Any suggestions?..thank you!..Nick

ANSWER: Picking at K/D is common because what they do eat is very satisfying and full of the nutrients she needs right now. I have used K/D on two cats just as you are. One cat I started on it at the age of 10 for preventative measures and he lived to be 19.

She will get plenty of nutrients from the K/D. Keep the treats away from her as they are only going to make her kidneys work harder.

Just leave out the K/D, about a half a cup a day and see how much she really is eating. It does come in canned too that you can give as a side if you really see that she isn't eating enough. Some people also pour low-sodium chicken broth over the dry (sprinkle it on actually) to entice her with the flavor but I have used this diet for 30 yrs and I know how cats eat it.

Don't forget that just the nature of her condition makes her feel dumpy and not wanting to eat as well.

Hang in there and watch her. Start with a half cup (measured!) a day and give her more if the bowl is empty by 3 pm.

QUESTION: ...Thank You for your response...one more thing,,she is very thin, yet very active for short bursts,,,then sleeps a lot to recharge her batteries I am guessing; she does gobble the treats though,,,I will try to entice her to eat more of the K/D with that topping you mentioned..thank you again

Answer
All of that is normal, unfortunately, for a cat whose kidneys are only working on about 15% capacity. Just keep the K/D out and get her some canned as well. Being thin is normal too, but obviously not desirable.
So if she'll eat the canned she could use the calories.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT