Ask the Veterinarian/exercise

Question
Hi

I have a 3 month old Lab puppy. What exactly are exercise requirements for her?

So what are exactly the requirements? I've heard that too much exercise is bad for puppies but I've also heard that Labs have high exercise requirements. As you can guess, I'm confused. Like any other Lab owner, I don't want to give her too much or too little exercise.

thanks

Answer
Puppies need to play more than just exercise. She can have a daily walk but not for too far. Be mindful of her hips and joints at this age. No puppy should ever be run or exercise hard at this age as her growth plates on her bones are not done growing and sealing.

Puppies need five minutes of exercise per month of age up to twice a day, according to the U.K. Kennel Club. In other words, a 3-month-old puppy will need 15 minutes of exercise while a 4-month-old will need 20 minutes.

This may take the form of low-impact activities like swimming or playing with small dog exercise balls. You can also take your puppy out for short walks on a leash. However, if he starts to sit down, give him time to rest. If he does not start walking again, you may have to carry him home.

Play with her in the yard with a ball and doggie toys. Work with her on sit, stay etc., even at this age. Let her rest often and bring her in the house to rest after each 15 minutes that she is out playing.

Get her used to a leash and a halter, not a collar. They tend to pull too much at this age and you can hurt her neck.

Get her some kongs that you can fill with peanut butter and throw for her, then her reward is to lick out the peanut butter.

Get her on some really high quality food such as Science Diet LARGE BREED PUPPY formula and she will grow strong with the CORRECT and precise amount of nutrients for her size. This food has been trial tested and clinically proven to help reduce hip and joint problems in growing large breed dogs. Hills was the first food ever made to correctly identify and make a diet to help prevent hip dysplasia in large breeds.

I hope that this helps some. When you take her in for her next round of vaccinations ask your vet what he/she recommends. Also make sure she is on Heartworm prevention ALL YEAR LONG.

No skipping and no stopping even in winter.

Have fun with her!!  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT