Ask the Veterinarian/Hairless puppy

Question
Hairless puppy
Hairless puppy  
Do  you think that there is going to be a problem with our puppy.  She was born hairless, there are not mites or fleas.  She was born with 6 other puppies and she is the only one that was born without hair.  She does not seem to have any other problems.  She is now 7 weeks old.  (Jack Russell) What could have caused this.  

thank you
Mandy

Answer
If you will look at the skin with a magnifying glass, you will probably see very fine hairs coming out of the skin.  Some puppies will not develop much hair until their hormones start being secreted.  Some puppies need warmth for the hairs to grow, so it may be necessary to put a sweater on the pup.  It is very rare for a puppy to be completely bald with no hair follicle activity.  A skin biopsy may be necessary to characterize the alopecia.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf