Ask the Veterinarian/my puppy

Hi I have a pitbull puppy a guess of his age is about 2-4 months old he is a very active puppy. But when I woke up today he didn't bark for me to take him out,so I looked at him and picked him up and his face and throat was puffy and he can't walk or stand really he's still eating and drinking good but he can't walk and he is sleeping alot. This has happened before and I have him milk and a few days later him was ok now he's doing it again and I was wondering if it has something to do with him being taken away from his mother too soon... Please help me I luv this lil guy

When a puppy develops a puffy face, it is usually an allergic reaction to something.  Has he had any vaccinations lately?  You might need to contact your vet to get an opinion as to what is causing this.  They may prescribe an antihistamine to help the puffiness.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf

Dermatology and ear diseases of dogs and cats

I am the author of "Small Animal Ear Diseases; An Illustrated Guide" published by W.B. Saunders. I have over 25 years of clinical experience with a special interest in dermatologic conditions and ear diseases.

American Academy of Veterinary Dermatology

Veterinary Forum
Veterinary Medicine
Waltham Focus