Ask the Veterinarian/Puppy licking its own genitals.

Question
We have a 7 mth old German shepherd puppy. She was spayed three weeks ago and has had some swelling and infection due to an allergic reaction to the stitches. The swelling and infection have both reduced with anti-biotics and she can now access her genital area now the collar has gone. We have noticed that she is spending a lot of time licking her own genital area. (Not the surgery closure that's healed, just her genitals). While I know dogs do this to clean themselves, it is getting to be quite long in duration. should we be worried or is it just a case of she can now get there when before she had a big collar on, or is it canine puberty, or possibly worms(she is due a course of anti worming no sign of worms in faeces)?

Answer
Most likely she is catching up on her grooming BUT constant licking can be a sign of irritation and itching, so I would have the vet look her over again for a stray suture or her subcutaneous sutures could be bothering her as well. She doesn't have any down there, but it's an easier place to lick.

How long has the collar been off? There is always the possibility of a discharge as well from the spay that will taper off and go away after a few weeks.

If she doesn't stop the constant licking soon, she will make her vulva swell and that's not what you want either.

I hate to say this but sometimes things are left behind, a piece of cervix, an ovary- which will cause a dog to feel like they are in heat and can even cause a discharge, but it's very minor. Just the same, they will lick lick lick...

If this continues, it's something to think about. I would feel remiss if I didn't mention that it CAN happen, fortunately it's very uncommon!!  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT