Ask the Veterinarian/role of the veterinary technician

Question
QUESTION: Hello!
      I am seriously considering going to vet tech school and I have a few questions. First of all I am planning on using my vet tech degree to mainly volunteer for animal welfare organizations. One of the programs that I want to volunteer for are trap neuter release programs. However I would love to also volunteer for a wildlife rehabilitation center, and I was wondering if (in your experience) vet tech volunteers are needed in these facilities. I am not looking for a job in these centers so I would think that I would be able to find a volunteer position in these programs easily (with my credentials of course), but I am not sure.
      My second question is about a vet techs role in pet care. I am really interested in how similar the African wildcat is to the domestic cat, and how by learning about the wildcat we can improve the lives of the domestic cat (ex: cats need play in order to satisfy their hunting instincts). I have been researching this topic for a long time and I think that it is important that cat parents know about how these things are beneficial to their pet cat. Therefore, is it within a vet techs job description to give advice on how to make a cats life more advantageous (ex: need a scratching post, the types of toys that will benefit the animal)?

ANSWER: It all depends on what kind of role your future boss lets you have in their practice. For many years under one boss I was in charge of client education so I was right out in the front talking to our clients, selling them food, helping them decide on flea control etc.

My boss retired and a new vet took over the practice and she wouldn't allow me to discuss client care, so I was pretty much in the back all of the time.

Volunteering is a wonderful thing to do.
Even though domestic cats might have come from wild stock a million years ago, and their needs are similar to a wild cats (both are obligate carnivores) their care does differ quite a bit.

It would benefit you more to study up on the husbandry of domestic cats unless you want to become a zoo technician.

As far as wildlife facilities go, they always need volunteers. You won't necessarily be doing any medical work, as they have vets that do that.

Good luck and enjoy your time learning. Let me know how you feel.

QUESTION: Thank you so much for answering my questions! However I have a one more if you don't mind. Even if I am not going to be necessarily doing medical stuff in a wildlife facility, will it still be beneficial to help these animals if I am a vet tech? Thanks again!

Answer
Of course it will!! Anything you can do will be helpful. It is very rewarding as well. I have done years of rehab and I never regretting it. My grown children still have memories of raising baby squirrels and opossums. We have rehabbed just about any kind of mountain animal except cougars.

So it's always helpful to have someone with a vet techs knowledge and caring to work with wildlife.

Have fun!!

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT