Ask the Veterinarian/Skin Supplement

Can you give your cat the human Omega 3-6-9 supplements, the "liqi-caps"? My Genesis' fur is dull and she's getting dandruff galore! I feel like she's lacking in her diet and requires a supplement. I have a HUGE bottle of the one for humans and would rather use that up 1st if possible as it is expensive.Any info would be helpful!

Why waste your money on something that can be cured with a high quality food instead?
I would take her off of her bad food and get her on Science Diet healthy advantage which has all the nutrition and supplements she needs right in the food.

You will save money, her coat will be shiny and healthy because she will be healthy from the inside out!

I have seen clients for years try EFAs and all kinds of vitamins on their pets to no avail. Once they switched to Science Diet all of those coat and skin problems went away. We are what we eat and it really shows on the outside of a dog or a cat.

Dandruff and dull coats are a sign of inadequate nutrition. SD is formulated, trial fed to real dogs and cats and tested for optimal nutrition. This is a veterinary research company who walk their talk.

Give it a try for one month. Hills has a 100% money back guarantee on their food. Just save the bag and take it back to the store if you don't see a huge difference.

I would start her slowly over 7 days on the Science Diet Adult Healthy Advantage.

This food has no corn or artificial flavors so it's very healthy. I just started my cats on the same flavor for cats and they love it! The best part about feeding Science Diet is that they eat less then before because their energy needs are being met much easier. So after a few weeks on the diet they eat less and then the owners always think that they no longer like the food, when in reality they are very happy with it - they just don't need as much to maintain themselves! This is what my cats were on as one cat has itchy skin:

This food would work for her as well.It made my cats coat so shiny and soft it was amazing.

So it's a win-win situation. Try the food before you use anything that is potentially toxic to your pet. Human supplements are normally have far too many ingredients to be safe for pets. In other words, they could cause a toxic reaction to the supplements.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.