Ask the Veterinarian/sores in cats mouth

Thanks for being there for people to ask questions to. My cat has what docter called herpetic stomatitus. I was thinking to use baby orajel to releave pain.His food now has to be mashed up friskies canned food. A docter looked at cats mouth, one dr. said teeth ok,another wanted 1500 to pull teeth. I dont know who to trust. One cat has a visible red sore below frount teeth. The other cat screames out in pain once or twice a day, back teeth gum sores.If I could get the sores down, maybe I could brush teeth.Three cats are like this. Im going crazy.Do you know of any thing that will numb pain or get rid of cats herpies?Are they passing a virus also?Please help.Internet seemed to think benzocaine in orajell toxic to cat. If I swabed on cats frount teeth herpie sore, do you think its deadly? ThankYou.

Well $1500 is a lot to pull teeth, but it is really the only positive treatment for this condition. Steroids don't even seem to help these cats.

My own ex-boss had to finally pull the teeth on her cat because of the same thing. It's the only thing that brings some relief.

Benzocaine is toxic to cats and you wouldn't be giving them any relief anyway as it would probably not stay on very long.

Here is some information from a feline dentist:

Cats can be affected by inflammation of the entire mouth, called stomatitis or lymphocytic plasmacytic syndrome (LPGS). An immune related cause is suspected, due to the large amount of plasma cells encountered on microscopic examination of the inflamed tissues. Many cats affected by LPS will be unable to eat, develop weight loss, and have excess salivation. Oral examination often reveals a "cobble stone"-like redness in the throat area and severe inflammation where the tooth and gums meet. The premolar and molar areas are usually affected more than the canines and incisors. Intraoral x-rays often reveal moderate to severe periodontal disease. In addition to generalized inflammation, all stages of feline ondontoclastic resorptive lesions may be present.

Ulceration of a cat's
pharynx due to feline

In the past, therapy options for feline stomatitis included thorough teeth cleaning and polishing, fluoride, corticosteroids, gold therapy, antibiotics, lasers, and strict daily brushing . In most cases, cats were only temporarily helped with these therapies.
Resolution of ulcers
two weeks
after extraction of
cheek teeth

Newer treatment options include general cleaning, polishing, application of fluoride, and extraction of those teeth affected by FORLs or severe periodontal disease. Additionally, A CO2 laser is used to treat inflamed tissues and decrease pain. In addition, a home care program is begun. The client is instructed how to brush their cat's teeth daily, followed by irrigation with .2% chlorhexidine. If the initial treatment does not succeed within two months, then all remaining teeth are removed behind the canines. Although somewhat radical, in most cases this will provide long term success.

Hopefully this will help. It is possible that this virus is transmitted via drinking water, grooming etc. but I don't think anyone really knows.  It is pretty rare for someone to have three cats with this condition. Your best bet is to have the teeth behind the canines removed if nothing else has helped. Sometimes just the last few molars need to be extracted. Herpes is a lifelong problem.

There are anti-virals that might help but it won't do anything for the stomatitis.
Please let me know how it goes with your kitties.

I hope you can help your poor kitties find relief.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.