Ask the Veterinarian/Wheezing and Sneezing

Question
I have 5 toy poodles, about a week ago one of them started sneezing followed by wheezing. Eventually it spread to all five dogs. They don't have a fever, cough, runny nose, any discharge in the eyes or bleeding.
Can you tell me what may cause this and is there anything I can do or give them short of getting a high vet bill?

Answer
Without knowing their ages or their vaccination history, all I can say is that they have all contracted some type of upper respiratory infection.

I can't tell you what kind or how it will affect them, but chances are they are going to get sicker.

Take one in and that should tell you what the rest of them have. It doesn't sound good- it sounds almost like they are having an allergic response to something in the air if it isn't an URI.

Did you bring anything new into the house? New carpets, new rugs, chairs, slip covers, etc?
Did you get your carpets cleaned? Have new flowers in the house, wool rugs or new heating vents?

Did you get your heater cleaned or does it need cleaning? Your dogs could be suffering from something that even could be dangerous to you!!

Get one or all of them into the vets soon and find out what this is. Wheezing is never a good sign.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT