You are here:

Ask the Veterinarian/Wound noticed on my puppy..


I have a six month old Great Dane puppy who has been kennel trained and as we were taking her out of the kennel my boyfriend noticed a wound right above her left front paw, the best I can describe it is her ankle.. It is about four centimeters wide and does not look very deep. It looks as if she was cut, but we do not know what could have cut it, and there is just a small piece of skin about 1 centimeters that seems to keep the wound open. We have not noticed her limping or crying, in fact she has been doing everything that she normally does. When we noticed it I called an emergency vet clinic that told me to clean the wound with hydrogen peroxide and wrap it over night. We did so and the bleeding has significantly decreased. I have never had an incident like this with any dogs that I have owned, I wanted to find what could keep it clean and help to prevent infection and online I came across a website that said that Neosporin could be used. We have been putting some on the wound in hopes that it will heal as well as cleaning it every couple of hours. Although, for the skin that is keeping the wound open we were wondering if we would be able to put liquid stitch to close it so it may heal correctly? I am also wondering if you may know of anything else that we may use to help prevent infection?
Thank you so much for your time and I look forward to hearing your response.

Everything you are doing is great. I would check her kennel however for a sharp piece of wire or even plastic. Plastic can cut just as badly as wire.

Liquid stitch is fine and then just wrap it lightly. Neosporin is good but it can hinder some of the healing. A bandage is better in that it keeps the area moist but not overly so.

You want the skin to create a bed of healing cells so make sure the bandages are non-stick.

Check it every other day and gently clean the area with betadine if you have it. If not, 40%-70% peroxide to water will work. More water than peroxide.

Peroxide is very irritating to the skin tissues so it must be diluted.

Keep it dryish around the area in the meantime and she should heal up just fine.  

Ask the Veterinarian

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jana Connell RVT, CVT


PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!


I have over 42 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love. I also Teach Veterinary Technology to working technicians who are studying to take their California Tests to become Licensed Technicians. They have to take both the VTNE (Veterinary Technician National Exam) and the California boards.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.


Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 1500 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Awards and Honors
Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.

©2017 All rights reserved.