You are here:

Ask the Veterinarian/My Cat is sick and the Vet is not open because it's sunday



I found this other website with veterinarians to answer urgent questions but I discovered that it cost like $48 (come on now).

My cat who is a one year old male seems to be very sick and my vet is closed because it is Sunday and I fear that he is suffering from organ failure or he has been poisoned. He was fine a few hours ago and he was running around outside and playing like all cats do and about 20 minutes ago my sister said that he was outside laying down and that he would not open his eyes. I brought him inside and he is still breathing and he will only open his eyes a little bit. Right now he is sitting on my bed and his mouth is slightly parted and he is still breathing and his eyes are closed, but he will not eat or drink. He does seem to have some trouble breathing.

Do you have any suggestions... I'm really worried that his sickness will be fatal. I've had many cats and I've never seen them act like this. My cat has had his rabies shots and he has not shown any signs of rabid behavior. Maybe he ate or drank something contaminated... I really hope he didn't...



This is a case where your cat needs to be seen by a veterinarian as SOON as POSSIBLE!!
If this was my cat I would have called any vet around-open or not. ALL vets have emergency numbers either posted on their doors or when you call they have the number listed to call after hours.

You cannot rely on anything or anyone on the internet to get back to you in a timely manner when it can be a case of life or death.

I hope that your cat survives what ever this is, but he certainly needs to see a vet right away.
He could have been hit by a car, or shaken by a dog. If he got hit he might have ruptured his diaphragm because cats do NOT like to breathe with their mouths open. It's really common for them to rip this membrane which is what pushes the lungs up and down.  Most cats do NOT eat poisonous things unless he got into some Lily plants, or antifreeze or ate a snail that had eaten snail poison.

Cats just don't eat rotten things like dogs do. That is why it is imperative that you contact a vet as soon as you can.

Don't wait, call one tonight!!

Ask the Veterinarian

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jana Connell RVT, CVT


PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!


I have over 42 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love. I also Teach Veterinary Technology to working technicians who are studying to take their California Tests to become Licensed Technicians. They have to take both the VTNE (Veterinary Technician National Exam) and the California boards.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.


Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 1500 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Awards and Honors
Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.

©2017 All rights reserved.