Ask the Veterinarian/Chocolate lab ear infection

Question
I took my chocolate lab to the vet about a week and a half ago and he said she had an ear infection and gave her nystatin neomycin sulfate thiostrepton ointment. I was to put that in her ear twice a day. Today I noticed she is walking and shaking her head so I checked her ears and both seem to have an ear infection. Lots of pus and very swollen. They seem to be bleeding from where she has scratched. What can I give her or do for her to help her?

Answer
She may need some systemic steroids to decrease the itching.  That will also help decrease the pain of the ear infection.  If there is pus coming out of the ears then she may need to be sedated and the ear canal totally flushed out so the vet can evaluate the eardrum to see if it is ruptured.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf