Ask the Veterinarian/Demodex Mites

Question
Hello! You helped me back in last December in regards to my previous spaniel/corgi senior dog that had a severe heart murmur. Unfortunately, she recently passed a little over a week ago due to enlargement of her heart. We had to put her down. :( The best positive thing out of this is that I got to at least have her for a year...she was a fantastic dog with a heart of gold however, I also get to adopt another dog in need of a home, which has led me to contacting you for additional suggestions as to help his particular issue. My new dog is a vibrant 9 mos. old Chihuahua/Pug mix named Toby. Upon adopting him, the shelter had informed me that he recently had finished his treatment from Demodectic Mites/Mange. He has a small bald spot at the site of issue on his paw which is slowly growing new hair in. My last dog was an eye opener when it came to food and so Toby is following a part raw and part kibble (grain free, no preserves, all natural food - Acana). I had found out from my veterinarian that this skin issue is typically genetic and could very well come back. This leads to my questions....

1. Are there any supplements I can give Toby to help keep his immune system running good and help prevent the likeliness of onset of these demodex mites to get out of hand? If so, could you please inform me on how often and how much I should be giving him? (He is 12lbs)

2. Shampoos: I have been hunting down the right shampoo to use on him. He does scratch quite a bit. What ingredients should I look for in a shampoo for him?

3. Since it is a skin issue, how often should I bathe him?

4. I know vaccines weren't suggested with my last dog but what about a dog that suffers from demodex mites? (I heard a dog prone to demodex infestations are more prone to it after taking vaccines- due to suppression of immune system)

Any other suggestions or guidance will help! :)

Answer
My most important suggestion, which I am sure I made before, is to NOW start working with an integrative veterinarian. there are so many in CA you should be able to find a good one. In case you lost the notes from before -
You can go to the web sites for each type of holistic practice and use their referral list to find one near to you:
1. Acupuncture and Chinese medicine: www.IVAS.org & www.TCVM.com
2. Homeopathic veterinarians (these can often help you by phone if no other holistic practitioners are nearby that you like): www.theAVH.org and www.DrPitcairn.com. To find homeopathic practitioners for yourself, and homeopathic products, go to
http://www.nationalcenterforhomeopathy.org/products-and-services;  http://www.homeopathicpharmacy.org/members/; http://www.nationalcenterforhomeopathy.org/resources/practitioners
3. Chiropractor - www.animalchiropractic.org
4. Wide range of other treatments: www.AHVMA.org, American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association and www.civtedu.org

Most people and dogs have demodex on their skin. It only causes a problem when they are immuno-suppressed/not healthy.

ANS: there are dozens of great supplements, which is why I want you working with an integrative vet to help you. Go to my web site to see great supplements you can order on line. Or find a local holistic pet store to save shipping.
Standard Process bought from a vet or amazon - Canine Whole body support; canine immune support
Vetri-science - my site or local vet - DMG; dermastrength; canine plus.
Do Reiki.
flower essences - spirit Essences - skin soothe or immune support and also any that fit him emotionally.
lavender organic food grade essential oil to put (diluted) on any spot that appears.
See, there are so many that it is important to learn muscle testing/dowsing, etc to help know what is helping the most. Also, buy my Healthy animal's Journal (print) or Healthy dog Journal (ebook) to track the symptoms.

ANS: Shampooing may make him itchier. I would not recommend any shampooing unless he begins to have lesions and hopefully he will not. You are right to be addressing the immune system rather than the skin.
Other itching solutions:
1. Even before you are trained in Reiki (and be sure to learn it), you can ask for this energy healing that cannot hurt and may help (See REIKI, below, for web sites to request healing).
2. Mitomax is a super probiotic that can improve nutrient absorption, so helps with all problems and builds the immune system. I have had many animals' itchiness clear up while using this, though sometimes they need to stay on it. Unlike other probiotics, it is very stable and is ok at the low stomach pH. (Order at http://christinachambreau.com/product-overviews- click on Pets max city - Be sure to give my name when you order to get a discount.)
3. Rescue remedy from the health food store. Put one drop in a separate water bowl. Put 10 drops in a cup of water and rinse hot spots or itchy areas with it. Put 4 drops in an ounce of water in a jar and give a few drops in every meal and every few hours in between. You cannot use it too often. It is totally safe. It is great for people too - for anxiety, stress, shock, grief and more.
4. Skin Soothe (http://christinachambreau.com/product-overviews - Spirit Essences) Flower essences are totally safe and can be used as long and as frequently as they seem to help. Remember that using a journal will help you figure out what is helping the most.
5. Anxiety Wrap (http://www.crvetcenter.com/bodywrap.htm) - uses an ace bandage to calm the dog so the itching may stop.
6. Derma Strength (http://christinachambreau.com/product-overviews - VetriScience) is a nutritional supplement that can be used long term.
7. Most importantly, keep feeding the raw meaty bone diet as this cures, or at least helps, about 60% of dogs with skin problems who come to my practice.
8. Dr. Dobias has seen many itchy faces, feet and ears resolve when collars are eliminated and harnesses with chest/leash attachments used.

ANS: you are right - vaccines WEAKEN the immune system. After the first set (done already) only give Rabies. Read my web site articles on many of these issues. This is another reason to find an integrative vet cause then you will be supported in not vaccinating.

I think you already have other info.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Christina Chambreau