Ask the Veterinarian/Our dog has green mucus/blood

Question

We have a lab we rescued about a year ago.  We think she may be between 3-5 years old.  About 6 months ago she was diagnosed with tick fever (very common in Costa Rica where we live)after a bout of green mucus and a bloody nose.  The vet gave us antibiotics and we ran the course and when she appeared to have no signs of improvement we ran the course again (3 months worth).  Shortly after taking the second round of meds, she started to show the same symptoms: really low energy, an odd smell, lots of green mucus, occassional bloody nose, low grade fever.  We took her back to the vet, she no longer tested positive for tick fever, but he gave us more antibiotics.  
She is still very sick.  He wants to give her more antibiotics, but at this point, she has become very expensive and she is also so sad. She just lies around all day trying to keep the snot from running into her mouth.  She is a gentle and sweet, sweet dog.  We have considered putting her down or letting her immune system try and fight this out.  Do you know what the problem could be and do you have any advise about what next steps we can take?

thank you very much for the time and energy you invest to help total strangers and their pets.

Answer
The problem is the conventional approach to health - just give antibiotics and other drugs to stop symptoms and not address the underlying energy imbalance that is at cause. When I only had my conventional veterinary training, I would often be very frustrated by problems that recurred like this as I really had nothing more to offer. The holistic philosophy has taught me that there is an underlying vibrational imbalance that causes most problems and the healing goal is to resolve that imbalance. To better understand this perspective, read the first few chapters of Don Hamilton's Homeopathic Care of Cats and Dogs or the few pages in my book, the Healthy Animal's Journal (available at Www.ChristinaChambreau.com).  Now that the multitude of holistic modalities is available, I can tell you to never give up. Try one after the other, and record the changes with each. I know you are out of money, but now you will be using it for some different approaches, and some are free or very low cost. It is possible to cure your dog, though at this point it may not happen. Definitely worth giving it a try.

You have 3 major approaches:
1.   Treat conventionally - you are done with that.
2.   Try some self healing treatments which may help.
3.   Begin now to work with an integrative veterinarian for the very best chance of health and long life. (See FIND A HEALER, below) This is the best if you can find one near you. If you are working  by phone with a homeopathic healer it will cost some money, but you may find one who will let you barter help with a costa rica vacation, or take payments. These approaches are basically helping her immune system recover.

If you were trained in different healing modalities (see below - YOU BE THE HEALER) you could help by using Reiki, T-Touch, HTA, flower essences, supplements, homeopathy and more.
1. Even before you are trained in Reiki, you can ask for this energy healing that cannot hurt and may help (See REIKI, below, for web sites to request healing, some of which are free).
2. Rescue remedy from the health food store may make her feel a little better. Put one drop in a separate water bowl. Put 4 drops in an ounce of water in a jar and give a few drops in every meal and every few hours in between. You cannot use it too often. It is totally safe. It is great for people too - for anxiety, stress, shock, grief and more.
3. Most importantly, change to a raw meaty bone diet as this helps the immune system in a lot of dogs in my practice.
4. A probiotic may help repair damage caused by the antibiotics.
5. Vitamin C - 500 mg twice a day should be available.
6. If you cannot find any holistic vets in

FIND A HEALER
I strongly recommend finding an integrative veterinarian with whom to work. This is a person trained in many different approaches, including using conventional drugs only when absolutely needed. Working with one can increase the chance that your cherished companion can live a long and healthy life after recovering from this current problem. There are good ones and great ones, and a few homeopathic veterinarians will consult by phone or email. Read my comments at the end on working with and selecting a holistic veterinarian.
You can go to the web sites for each type of holistic practice and use their referral list to find one near to you:
1. Acupuncture and Chinese medicine: www.IVAS.org & www.TCVM.com
2. Homeopathic veterinarians I found this site - http://livinglifeincostarica.blogspot.com/2010/09/macrobioticas-homeopathic-phar which says where to buy remedies in Costa rica, and they may know of some animal healers, or may know of human homeopaths who will also treat animals. If that is no help, ones in the US  can often help you by phone): www.theAVH.org and www.DrPitcairn.com.

YOU BE THE HEALER  
I also strongly recommend getting some training in understanding the wide range of approaches to health so you can be in charge of what you choose for treatments for your animals. You can learn Reiki (which can take the "bad" out of vaccines and any needed drugs, or even make food healthier), massage, HTA, TTouch, acupressure, flower essence therapy, aromatherapy, all of which are 100% safe to use for any problems (see REIKI below). There are many more approaches you can do to help heal your animals with some training since they need to be used more carefully - homeopathy, herbal medicine, Chinese herbs. In addition to classes (see below), there are many very good list serves filled with people experienced with not vaccinating and feeding raw meat diets. Go to yahoogroups.com and look for “Novaxk9s” and “Raw Paws”. As with human health approaches, there are many different opinions, so you need to experiment and see what makes your animals more or less healthy. Keeping a journal can help you decide what is working and what is not working (www.ChristinaChambreau.com).

REIKI can be done from afar if no one is near you:
From the book, Healthy Animal's Journal - "Reiki: Personally, I think every person who lives with or works with animals must know at least Level I Reiki. The practitioner places her hands upon the animal (or it can be done from a distance, even around the world) with the intent for healing to occur. The energy flows through the healer into the animal. This is based on directly applying Chi (energy) to rebalance the energy field so it no longer needs to produce the physical symptoms. It is a very good adjunct to any healing modality, especially to relieve pain and inflammation. I have seen cats who begin to eat again when their food has Reiki done on the food. It also "takes the bad out of" things. By doing Reiki on smelly water in restaurants I have been able to drink sweet tasting and smelling water. Use Reiki anytime that you must give injections, vaccines, drugs, flea or heartworm drugs, or other substances with potential toxicity. Do you work in a grooming salon, or kennel, or veterinary clinic, or barn or anywhere animals are being seen? Use your Reiki on any treatments to be given and to calm the animals. People have reported getting animals to eat by doing Reiki on their food.  http://www.reiki.org  . http://www.ReikiTails.com  is a great practitioner in Maryland who knows a lot about cats. Get a free treatment at www.interdimensionalhealing.com. Great information on Reiki - http://www.reikicourse.org. Kathleen Prasad is a wonderful teacher and works with my favorite sanctuary and holistic education center, BrightHaven www.brighthaven.org. She just had an article on Reiki in Feline Wellness. Kathleen leads a free monthly telechat for anyone trained in Reiki and using it with animals. http://www.animalreikisource.com/. If you cannot find a Reiki Class near you (same class for people and animals as it connects you through an "attunement" to the healing energy of the universe, making you a channel of healing), three groups offer long distance, free, attunements.
1. http://theholisticcare.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13,
2. http://freereikiattunement.com/
3. www.ReikiBlessings.com offers free Reiki attunements, classes and training on-line    and animal classes, too
Long distance healing and training is at www.animalhealers.homestead.com/  
A client of mine is using Christine, Her name is Christine at cbearse@earthlink.net, www.awakeningrainbows.com. To receive free distance Reiki send her your first name only, city and state, and whether or not you have had any Reiki training.  She invites you to include your pets as well.  She uses a teddy bear and does a full body Reiki distance treatment for one hour each Sunday evening from 9 p.m. until 10 p.m. EST.

Another wonderful healer, Deena Spears works long distance with Sound Tuning. www.Singingwoods.com. I have seen many animals and the people in a home be healed by her work.

thank you for your thanks in advance. I enjoy giving some guidance.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Christina Chambreau