Ask the Veterinarian/Female spayed dog

Question
My dog is 3 years old and we adopted her from PAWS. She is very loud and protective. She has been spayed but we think she might of had pups before being spayed. I was wondering if spayed dogs can still have maternal insticts? She is protective of myself and my boys, certain toys, and anythign that she hears she barks at. Any suggestions?

Oh yes she is a Lab/ English Pointer mix

Answer
Awwww I just lost my  Lab/English pointer mix after 14 yrs. She looked JUST like a purebred Pointer however. Her name was Annie Mouse.

She may or may not have been a mother. Some dogs are just naturally protective of family. And spayed dogs have the same protective instincts of non- spayed ones. My dog was spayed at 4 months old and she was protective as well.

Your dog needs a bit of training more than anything. She may have never been trained at all.

Get her signed up for obedience and elect one family member to go through it with her. Then afterward that person trains the family to keep up the dogs training.

It is also going to take her some time to settle in and settle down. She has probably been from one home to another.

So get her some training, give her some time and don't yell at her. It's our first reaction to do so.

If you know someone near you that has done some training, ask them for some basic starters or look up Uncle Matty online and he has a ton of information on training.

Good luck and have fun with her!

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT