Ask the Veterinarian/hound

Question
my 3 year old male english redtick hound penis has swelled up not where it comes out but towards back. What is wrong with him and what can i do to help him? I gave him a shot of penicillan today thinking it may be an infection.

Thank You
         Jason

Answer
Please do not use penicillin unless you actually know you have an infection and that it is sensitive to that drug. It can cause problems. There are many holistic things you can do instead.
Actually, I do not think your hound has a problem. what you are describing sounds like an erection and I suspect it is now gone.

Of course, it is possible there is an abscess right around the base of the penis so it looks swollen, but that is unlikely. A tumor is also possible but unlikely.

I am sure you think this is not really answering your question, but this is one of those questions that cannot be answered without examining your dog.

If he is in pain, having trouble urinating, not eating, or lethargic you need to take him to a veterinarian, preferably an integrative one.

FIND A HEALER
I strongly recommend finding an integrative veterinarian with whom to work. This is a person trained in many different approaches, including using conventional drugs only when absolutely needed. Working with one can increase the chance that your cherished companion can live a long and healthy life after recovering from this current problem, if it is a problem and not merely a long erection. There are good ones and great ones, and a few homeopathic veterinarians will consult by phone or email. Read my comments at the end on working with and selecting a holistic veterinarian.
You can go to the web sites for each type of holistic practice and use their referral list to find one near to you:
1. Acupuncture and Chinese medicine: www.IVAS.org & www.TCVM.com
2. Homeopathic veterinarians (these can often help you by phone if no other holistic practitioners are nearby that you like): www.theAVH.org and www.DrPitcairn.com.
3. Chiropractor - www.animalchiropractic.org
4. Wide range of other treatments: www.AHVMA.org, American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association and www.civtedu.org

In the future you can help your dog with any problem if you learn Reiki. Herbs can be used for no longer than a week to help with infections (instead of Penicillin) - goldenseal, Echinacea, aloe, and others. Wounds are easily treated with aloe vera or calendula creams.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Christina Chambreau