Ask the Veterinarian/Interview Questions

Question
How would you characterize the career of a veterinarian? (Competitive, rapidly changing, stressful, etc.

What are your predictions for the future for this career? Is it expanding?

Are qualified workers needed in this field? Where is the greatest need?

What is the potential income for a small animal veterinarian? What is the typical starting salary?

What is a typical day/week like in your job?

Answer
I am a holistic veterinarian, so my answers reflect that.
1. rapidly expanding. Much demand, too few practicing it. Need is everywhere
3. See below. I get so many of these questions that I will give you a standard answer. If you are interested in the profession, please email me at HealthyAnimals@aol.com

Mine is very different as I started holistic consulting in the 80s and do not have a clinic. My clients call me anytime their animals are ill and we decide if they need to see a local veterinarian for diagnosis. Usually they do not. I then consult many homeopathic books to determine the best remedy. I will get calls to follow up on the response of the animals to the treatment prescribed. I coach people on feeding a fresh food diet and not giving any vaccines except the legally required Rabies. I work on my web site to empower people to learn for themselves. My benefits are working at home. Clients are very grateful to me. My salary in $1,000 per month for 10 hours per week.
4. What are the most important skills for success in your present work?
Communication with people, love of learning, personal growth to trust my intuition and skills, persistence when animals are not healing well, compassion.
5. What changes have taken place in your workplace in the last five to ten years (ie. technology, concern for environment, globalization of economy, etc.)? What caused these changes?
Not much, frankly, in the profession as a whole. In my own practice, I have seen a huge improvement in health when people follow basic holistic principles - only vaccinate for Rabies after the puppy or kitten shots, feed a raw meat diet, use holistic treatments from the beginning. I know a cat who lived to 35 and a border collie still alive at 24. Holistic treatments are very environmental.

to add some more:
I am the owner of a homeopathic and holistic veterinary practice that includes speaking at veterinary conferences around the world, health food stores, breed clubs, dog and cat clubs, and many other groups. I also teach teleseminars and 2-7 day classes on holistic health for animals and homeopathy for animals. I teach veterinary technicians. I did not even know about homeopathy, so I did not expect this.
I have seen a huge improvement in health when people follow basic holistic principles - only vaccinate for Rabies after the puppy or kitten shots, feed a raw meat diet, use holistic treatments from the beginning. I know a cat who lived to 35 and a border collie still alive at 24. If you do go to veterinary school, learn the holistic approaches before and after.
Most challenging is when I cannot heal animals or people come to me after trying conventional medicine first, so their animals are quite ill.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Christina Chambreau