Ask the Veterinarian/Japanese Spitz x Chihuahua Breed

Question
our dog losses her hair and she has this red spots on her skin and   she has never gained her hair until now. sometimes she doesn't want to eat. she is almost 1 year and half years old, she has no monthly periods but her breasts are already swollen out. what will we do? what are the remedies in curing her loss, dry and reddish hair?

Answer
When dogs have reddish orange stained hairs, it is because of itching and licking usually.  The red spots may be a bacterial infection.  Your vet can help you with some steroid and antibiotic therapy.  Because she hasn't bled from a period may mean that she has silent heats.  She may be having a false pregnancy, which is fairly normal in dogs.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf