Ask the Veterinarian/Laser vs scalpel spay

Question
Hello!

We have a spay appointment scheduled for our 6 month old female tabby kitten in just under 2 weeks, and when I made the appointment and double-checked I had budgeted the right amount, the receptionist said it would be $60 more to do the laser surgery.

We have 2 dogs, and have altered 10 cats, and have varied in using laser and not (we took 1 dog and 3 cats [two spays, two neuters] to a vet that didn't offer the laser surgery), and I've personally never seen a difference in their pain tolerance, or the healing. With either surgery, they send you home with pain meds, and inject the cat with a 2-week antibiotic. So my question is.... is the laser surgery -really- that much better for the animal, or is just a grab for more money?

Thanks for your time,
Amanda

Answer
I don't have any experience with laser surgery but a spay is a spay so how they close the skin, or open it, is a whole different ball game.

Lasers cost a lot of money so you have to re-coup that somehow right?

So it's a personal decision which one to pick. My preference is that the cat doesn't go home the same day. That way they have 24 hours to sleep and rest and heal. They seem to do MUCH better that way. We never charge for the overnight but some vets do.

Hope that helps. Glad you waited until she was 6 months to spay her as well.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT