Ask the Veterinarian/Runny nose from one nostril

Few months ago my girlfriend and I adopted a stray cat, who is now about 7-8 month old now (named her Mouly).
When we found her one of her eyes was very red and in a state of necrosis.  The vet
had to remove her eye, which according to him, wasn't functioning and was infected with herpes (of course, he gave her antibiotics after the surgery). two week later (after the stitches were removed) we started noticing  that she had a runny-nose with a yellowish-green colour from only one nostril, the nostril on the side of the remaining eye! (it's important to mention that the eye did not, and still don't have, any significant discharge).

We took her back to the vet who thought it's the Herpes infection again. As suggested we started giving her an anti-herpes medicine (Famciclovir, 125 mg/cap a day). After a couple of weeks with no change, the vet decided to add antibiotics to the medicine (25 mg a day).
At first we thought she got better but after a while the "runny nose" came back (the cat licks her nose all the time so it's hard to tell if the amount of discharge is similar to what it was before).
After month and a half administering her with two daily pills the vet decided to stop the treatment (we saw it didn't help).

Mouly also sniffs and sneezes a lot! other then that she is energetic and seems healthy (eats her food, drinks  her water etc). We also don't have any yard or something, so she is always at home, not exposed to grass, sand etc. Mouly eats special Royal Canin food (written on the bag: "Kitten, Veterinary diet, growth, lysine+").

The vet now advises us sending the cat for an endoscopy to check her nostril (obviously it's not going to be cheap, like the anti-herpes medicines aren't).

I would like to ask:
-Do you have any other ideas of what we can do to help Mouly?
-What is the problem, in your opinion, Mouly might have?
-What, in your opinion, can they find using endoscopy?

Any help or directions will be highly appreciated!

First, Thank you for adopting Mouly. She is a lucky girl. Herpes infections are common and very difficult to treat. When I only had my conventional veterinary training, I would often be very frustrated by problems that recurred like this and seemed to have no cure. The holistic philosophy has taught me that there is an underlying vibrational imbalance that causes most problems and the healing goal is to resolve that imbalance. To better understand this perspective, read the first few chapters of Don Hamilton's Homeopathic Care of Cats and Dogs
or the few pages in my book, the Healthy Animal's Journal (available at  Now that the multitude of holistic modalities is available, I can tell you to never give up. Try one after the other, and record the changes with each. You will have to do some searching to find holistic veterinarians in Israel - they are there.

Because of the eye infection followed by the nasal infection, I do think it is a herpes infection rather that a foreign body or tumor in the one side of the nose.
If this was just a one sided nasal discharge with no history of other problems, I would suggest the endoscopy as it can find blockages from foreign bodies (splinters, etc), polyps and tumors and  can even be used to remove them.

You have 3 major approaches:
1.   Treat conventionally - not working and in future not the place to start
2.   Try some self healing treatments which may help, but probably need more.
3.   Begin now to work with an integrative veterinarian for the very best chance of health and long life. (See FIND A HEALER, below)

If you were trained in different healing modalities (see below - YOU BE THE HEALER) you could help by using Reiki, T-Touch, HTA, flower essences, supplements, homeopathy and more.
1. Even before you are trained in Reiki, you can ask for this energy healing that cannot hurt and may help (See REIKI, below, for web sites to request healing).
2. L-Lysine is a supplement that often helps with herpes (great to stop a cold sore for you) at 250 to 500 mg per day. Start high for a few weeks to see if it helps.
3. Herbal supplements are best if available in forms for animals, so look for a holistic health store near you and ask for good immune stimulants formulated for animals.
4. Start to feed a raw meat diet to improve the immune system.
5. Thump the thymus (tap just where the soft parts of throat stop at the sternum).
6. AT this stage, it would be best to find an integrative veterinarian.

I strongly recommend finding an integrative veterinarian with whom to work. This is a person trained in many different approaches, including using conventional drugs only when absolutely needed. Working with one can increase the chance that your cherished companion can live a long and healthy life after recovering from this current problem. There are good ones and great ones, and a few homeopathic veterinarians will consult by phone or email.
You can go to the web sites for each type of holistic practice and use their referral list to find one near to you:
An article was written speaking about ORSHINA - The Israeli Veterinary Institute for Holistic Medicine, but I could not find a web site.  Maybe searching in Hebrew will work.
1. Acupuncture and Chinese medicine: &
2. Homeopathic veterinarians (these can often help you by phone if no other holistic practitioners are nearby that you like): and Dr. ronit  Aboul is a great homeopathic veterinarian in Tel Aviv.

Please go to my web site and sign up for the newsletter - You will get a FREE REPORT on how to prevent fleas and ticks, naturally.  On the products page, there are many great supplements which may help your animals be healthier.
Also, CLASSES!!!! Baltimore maryland in January is the next one.
Blog talk RADIO SHOW archives and listen to all the past shows)     -

REIKI: Available to be done from US to Israel.
From the book, Healthy Animal's Journal - "Reiki: Personally, I think every person who lives with or works with animals must know at least Level I Reiki. The practitioner places her hands upon the animal (or it can be done from a distance, even around the world) with the intent for healing to occur. The energy flows through the healer into the animal. This is based on directly applying Chi (energy) to rebalance the energy field so it no longer needs to produce the physical symptoms. It is a very good adjunct to any healing modality, especially to relieve pain and inflammation. I have seen cats who begin to eat again when their food has Reiki done on the food. It also "takes the bad out of" things. By doing Reiki on smelly water in restaurants I have been able to drink sweet tasting and smelling water. Use Reiki anytime that you must give injections, vaccines, drugs, flea or heartworm drugs, or other substances with potential toxicity. Do you work in a grooming salon, or kennel, or veterinary clinic, or barn or anywhere animals are being seen? Use your Reiki on any treatments to be given and to calm the animals. People have reported getting animals to eat by doing Reiki on their food.  .  is a great practitioner in Maryland who knows a lot about cats. Get a free treatment at Great information on Reiki - Kathleen Prasad is a wonderful teacher and works with my favorite sanctuary and holistic education center, BrightHaven She just had an article on Reiki in Feline Wellness. Kathleen leads a free monthly telechat for anyone trained in Reiki and using it with animals. If you cannot find a Reiki Class near you (same class for people and animals as it connects you through an "attunement" to the healing energy of the universe, making you a channel of healing), three groups offer long distance, free, attunements.
3. offers free Reiki attunements, classes and training on-line    and animal classes, too
Long distance healing and training is at  
A client of mine is using Christine, Her name is Christine at, To receive free distance Reiki send her your first name only, city and state, and whether or not you have had any Reiki training.  She invites you to include your pets as well.  She uses a teddy bear and does a full body Reiki distance treatment for one hour each Sunday evening from 9 p.m. until 10 p.m. EST.

Another wonderful healer, Deena Spears works long distance with Sound Tuning. I have seen many animals and the people in a home be healed by her work.

One of these approaches should help deeply cure your kitty!  

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Christina Chambreau

I can give you the holistic approach to any problem, mostly for dogs and cats and some farm animals and horses. Depending on the condition and the type of animal, I will be able to give very specific treatment suggestions such as what flower essences, homeopathic remedies, nutritional supplements, diet changes, lifestyle changes or herbs that may be helpful - not drugs. I can also suggest where you can go for further education or to find a specialist in a specific holistic field. I can help you understand why your animal is ill and what improvements can be expected. I do not check messages more than every one to two days, so PLEASE DO NOT ask about EMERGENCIES - call your local veterinarian. I cannot diagnose your animal. I cannot prescribe specific treatments. I am no longer very current with conventional treatments, so cannot answer questions on those. I am not an expert on birds or small critters. I am not an expert in breeding, birthing or babies.

I graduated from the University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine in 1980 and began using homeopathy in my practice after a client introduced me to it. By 1988 I was using exclusively holistic treatments. I began lecturing in 1987 and have spoken at veterinary conferences, health food stores, people's homes, churches, veterinary college conferences - anywhere people want to learn more about keeping their animals healthy.

Academy of Veterinary Homeopathy (I helped found this one) American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association National Center for Homeopathy American Veterinary Medical Association

I have written in many magazines, journals and newspapers. A few include Bark Magazine; Journal of the AHVMA; Baltimore Dog Magazine; Whole Dog Journal; Tiger Tribe; Wolf Clan. I have also been frequently interviewed on radio and TV. I am Associate Editor for the Integrative Veterinary Care Journal, so often have articles there.

Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) Certified Veterinary Homeopath (CVH)