Ask the Veterinarian/Runny nose from only one nostril

Question
Hello,

Few months ago my girlfriend and I adopted a stray cat, who is now about 7-8 month old now (named her Mouly).
When we found her one of her eyes was very red and in a state of necrosis.  The vet
had to remove her eye, which according to him, wasn't functioning and was infected with herpes (of course, he gave her antibiotics after the surgery). two week later (after the stitches were removed) we started noticing  that she had a runny-nose with a yellowish-green colour from only one nostril, the nostril on the side of the remaining eye! (it's important to mention that the eye did not, and still don't have, any significant discharge).

We took her back to the vet who thought it's the Herpes infection again. As suggested we started giving her an anti-herpes medicine (Famciclovir, 125 mg/cap a day). After a couple of weeks with no change, the vet decided to add antibiotics to the medicine (25 mg a day).
At first we thought she got better but after a while the "runny nose" came back (the cat licks her nose all the time so it's hard to tell if the amount of discharge is similar to what it was before).
After month and a half administering her with two daily pills the vet decided to stop the treatment (we saw it didn't help).

Mouly also sniffs and sneezes a lot! other then that she is energetic and seems healthy (eats her food, drinks  her water etc). We also don't have any yard or something, so she is always at home, not exposed to grass, sand etc. Mouly eats special Royal Canin food (written on the bag: "Kitten, Veterinary diet, growth, lysine+").

The vet now advises us sending the cat for an endoscopy to check her nostril (obviously it's not going to be cheap, like the anti-herpes medicines aren't).

I would like to ask:
-Do you have any other ideas of what we can do to help Mouly?
-What is the problem, in your opinion, Mouly might have?
-What, in your opinion, can they find using endoscopy?

Any help or directions will be highly appreciated!!
Daniel

Answer
Unilateral nasal discharge usually indicates either a bad tooth or a foreign object in the nose.  An X-ray of the nasal cavity will show if there is an opacity in the air filled passages indicating that there is something there.  It can also show an infected tooth root.  If there is an infection in the nose with a fungus, they can do cytology and possibly culture of the discharge.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf