Ask the Veterinarian/Whats wrong with my dog?

Question
I have a Basenji that is 6yrs old.  We got him fixed last February and ever since he has went down hill.  His symptoms are strange, loss of depth perception, hair loss, loss of 50% control of his back legs, skin infections(almost like pimples), low temp, and no energy. I have taken him to our local vet, at first they suspected Lime disease so they gave him antibiotics. We tried several different kinds with nothing helping some of them actually made his stomach sick too.  What do you think?

Answer
Your dog needs some extensive blood work done. Not "suspected diagnosis" but actual facts that a treatment can be based on.

Neutering has nothing to do with this unless something went wrong while he was being neutered.
Has he been tested for hypothyroidism or Cushings disease?

Have his kidneys, liver function or other blood work been run? Has he had any xrays?
These are the things you need to ask your vet and if they haven't done these, or you didn't have them done, then they NEED to be done so your vet can accurately access his condition and treat accordingly.

That is the best advice I can give you. Get a second opinion if you have done all the above and they can't find an answer.

Get one before it's too late for your dog, and get some blood tests done as well.

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT