Ask the Veterinarian/Aural hematoma surgery

Question
My 10 year old pit bull mix had an aural hematoma on the Friday before Easter. My vet preformed surgery on the Monday after. She had sutures all around the incision. I squeezed three times a day and it healed great. We had the sutures removed this past Tuesday. 3 of them were healed in. My vet had to cut skin to remove them. Now, three days later there were pimple like bumps on the ear, one was scabbed. I squeezed the two and out of both I retrieved a 1/4" suture. On the scabbed one, which is not so bubbled, I removed the scab and squeezed and nothing cam out. My question is, if there are more sutures, will they come out like the others ? What should I clean the wound with? Will neosporin help? I don't want her to get an infection! I'm a little worried, please help

Answer
These rarely get infected, but sometimes remaining suture will cause a reaction that results in the production of pus. This is called a stitch abscess.  You can use warm water soaks to help.  If there was a dissolvable suture used, it will eventually dissolve.  If there was a non-absorbable suture used, then these pieces need to be found and removed.  Neosporin will not do any harm.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf