Ask the Veterinarian/Cat digestive health

This has been puzzling us for some time. One of our cats vomits after eating, but only after eating 'wet food'. We include cooked meats etc in the 'wet food' category. She can eat dry food and treats, with very little issue. When we had her as a kitten she was riddled with worms, and was very poorly, though thankfully she was treated with a concentrated dose of veterinarian strength wormer. We have wormed her recently, but it has no effect. Also, this seems to have only been a problem since she was neutered a year and a half ago. We thought it was the type of wet food, but have ruled that out. She doesn't seem to be in distress, and is in good health generally, glossy coat etc. The only issue she seems to have issues with a lot is constipation - probably because she can't have wet food! She is 4/5 years old (approximate as we weren't too sure of age when we received her). Her vaccinations are up to date.

Thank you very much in advance.

Some cats just can't handle eating wet food without vomiting. It's as simple as that. Having her spayed has nothing to do with it at all.

Many cats have sensitive stomachs and canned food is very rich and heavy in salts. I am fostering a cat right now that will vomit all over the house if he licks up one teaspoon full of wet food.

But my 10 yr and 1 yr old have no problems with it.

So just don't feed her wet food. If she has problems with constipation then put her on a more high quality diet.

If you are feeding her grocery store junk food then get her on Science Diet. If she is on it, then get her on the indoor cat formula which is higher in fiber.

If she hasn't been seen by a vet since she was spayed then she is over due for a check-up, so get her in to be seen and bring up the constipation etc.

But again, just keep her out of the wet food. Make sure they have a water fountain or a bowl of fresh water that is changed every two days tops.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.