Ask the Veterinarian/my cat having kittens

My cat just had kittens two days ago but she had them next door so our neighbor left them on our front door in a cardboard box and we tried putting the mom and the kittens together in the garage but she wouldnt go in with them and she kept attacking my brother. We just left the cardboard box outside with the mom, thinking if they survived two nights out there they will be okay this the right thing to do? Im really worried.  

Moms!!! Human or animal - they do have definite opinions. California is fairly warm, though there is a coyote problem. The very best is to let the mom be happy as the kittens will do best if mom is taking care of them.

Get some Rescue Remedy from the health food store. Put 4 drops in one ounce of water in a dropper bottle. Put a drop on a towel in the box, or even in her food. Do not feed her dry food. Feed canned food  of really good quality (unless she is addicted to dry) and put a drop of the dilute rescue remedy in each meal. If the box is too sunny, put up an umbrella. If too cold, put out a heating pad. What ever the issue - be creative.

And please have her spayed as soon as the kittens are 8 weeks old as she can quickly become pregnant again.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Christina Chambreau

I can give you the holistic approach to any problem, mostly for dogs and cats and some farm animals and horses. Depending on the condition and the type of animal, I will be able to give very specific treatment suggestions such as what flower essences, homeopathic remedies, nutritional supplements, diet changes, lifestyle changes or herbs that may be helpful - not drugs. I can also suggest where you can go for further education or to find a specialist in a specific holistic field. I can help you understand why your animal is ill and what improvements can be expected. I do not check messages more than every one to two days, so PLEASE DO NOT ask about EMERGENCIES - call your local veterinarian. I cannot diagnose your animal. I cannot prescribe specific treatments. I am no longer very current with conventional treatments, so cannot answer questions on those. I am not an expert on birds or small critters. I am not an expert in breeding, birthing or babies.

I graduated from the University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine in 1980 and began using homeopathy in my practice after a client introduced me to it. By 1988 I was using exclusively holistic treatments. I began lecturing in 1987 and have spoken at veterinary conferences, health food stores, people's homes, churches, veterinary college conferences - anywhere people want to learn more about keeping their animals healthy.

Academy of Veterinary Homeopathy (I helped found this one) American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association National Center for Homeopathy American Veterinary Medical Association

I have written in many magazines, journals and newspapers. A few include Bark Magazine; Journal of the AHVMA; Baltimore Dog Magazine; Whole Dog Journal; Tiger Tribe; Wolf Clan. I have also been frequently interviewed on radio and TV. I am Associate Editor for the Integrative Veterinary Care Journal, so often have articles there.

Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) Certified Veterinary Homeopath (CVH)