Ask the Veterinarian/Cut on dog's paw

The other day my dog and I were out playing fetch. She cut her paw on something, but did not react to it at all. I only noticed the blood on the snow. There was not much blood, and it stopped really fast. It isnt deep and is really clean so I figured I would just leave it alone and let it heal. We bandaged it for the first few days to keep it clean.
My issue is that everytime she walks, she breaks the cut open more so its not able to heal. This was about a week ago now. It is in slightly better condition than it was at the beginning though.
Do you think I should just leave it and let it take time to heal, or should I take her to get stitches.
I realize you are not a vet, and do not have the information nessicary for a clear answer, but I was just wondering about your opinion.

Depends on where it is on her paw. The pads of the foot take a REALLY long time to heal due to the nature of the hard material on the bottoms. These really do need sutures for that reason.

If it's in between the pads, it will heal sooner, but it can get infected really easily since it is so close to the ground.

In general, feet are like eyes, you don't want to let them go too long without medical attention.
I would get her in and get it stitched up.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.