Ask the Veterinarian/Dog Abscess care

Question
I recently got home from deployment and I came home to my dog having an abscess a couple days later. I took him to the vet twice. Long story short it ended up popping and the vet put draining tubes on him. Am I allowed to put a T shirt on him so he can still sleep on the bed? I don't want to ruin my new sheets but I also feel bad for not sleeping with him. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Answer
Yes, a Tshirt is fine. You may need more wrapping than that to protect your sheets. Maybe go to a thrift shop and pick up a set of used sheets to use until the abscess has healed.

I strongly suggest you go to an integrative practitioner and there are a lot in Arizona, to have your dog live a long and healthy life, and cope with your absences - thank you for serving.

This is a person trained in many different approaches, including using conventional drugs only when absolutely needed. Working with one can increase the chance that your cherished companion can live a long and healthy life after recovering quickly from this abscess. There are good ones and great ones, and a few homeopathic veterinarians will consult by phone or email. Read my comments at the end on working with and selecting a holistic veterinarian.
You can go to the web sites for each type of holistic practice and use their referral list to find one near to you:
1. Acupuncture and Chinese medicine: www.IVAS.org & www.TCVM.com
2. Homeopathic veterinarians (these can often help you by phone if no other holistic practitioners are nearby that you like): www.theAVH.org and www.DrPitcairn.com. To find homeopathic practitioners for yourself, and homeopathic products, go to
http://www.nationalcenterforhomeopathy.org/products-and-services;  http://www.homeopathicpharmacy.org/members/; http://www.nationalcenterforhomeopathy.org/resources/practitioners
3. Chiropractor - www.animalchiropractic.org
4. Wide range of other treatments: www.AHVMA.org, American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association and www.civtedu.org  

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Christina Chambreau