Ask the Veterinarian/Why does my dog eat bubbles?

Hello, I am wondering why my dog likes bubbles so much. When we blow bubbles we rarely even get a chance to blow them to get big! He jumps up and eats them. I do not think it is very healthy for dog to eat them so i end up only getting to blow a few. If the bubbles drip down the bottle he jumps up and licks it. He is a Austrailian  Sheperd mix. I think its lab and boxer.  Please help! I would also like to know if this is posines to dogs. Sorry for my miss spelling. Thank you.

Hi Chrisina,
I have no idea why they like bubbles but I know that they sure do love to chase and bite them!! If they bite a few bubbles it probably won't hurt them but don't let the dog lick up any of the liquid if you can help it. I don't know what the ingredients are so I can't tell you if they are poisonous or not. We used to use plain dish soap to make ours.

You need to train him with a sharp NO! every time he jumps after the drips. I doubt if you can get him to stop jumping after the bubbles, but you can try and train him to sit quietly while you blow them. Just remember when he does pop them there isn't much there for him to get into his mouth anyway!

Otherwise lock him in the house or backyard while you sit on the front porch and blow bubbles!  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.