Ask the Veterinarian/rash after grooming

Question
After my border terrier has been groomed, he has a lumpy,hard rash,mainly on the back of his neck and partly down his back. After this last groom, it is also on other places on his body. This last occasion, after talking with the groomer, she clipped rather than hand stripped, although this has not made a difference. Also, for several days after grooming his mood is different, bit subdued and off his food slightly. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Answer
IF the clipper blades are not cleaned or if they are scraped or dragged along the skin over back during grooming, then there can be a skin irritation that develops.  Some dogs are sensitive to the chemicals in the shampoos that are used while grooming.  Ask your groomer t use a specifically hypoallergenic shampoo (or you can take one of these to them the next time).  That may help.  If there is a bacterial infection, then the dog may need some antibiotics from the vet.  If the skin is red, hot and itchy, then a short course of a steroid may be needed.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf